Answer Piping lets you pipe your survey responses and understand more about your respondents' choices to your survey question. Currently, the answer piping can be done for the following question types.
Let’s see how it works.
Start a blank survey or choose one from the existing templates.
Create a Source Question first and pipe your responses to it by adding a follow-up question.
To create a source question, choose any of these question types - Multiple Choice, Picture Choice, Rank Order, Dropdown.
Note: You cannot choose Matrix Question Type as the source question.
5. In our example, we’re going with a Picture Choice Question.
6. Enable "Multiple Answers" toggle only if you allow your respondents to choose multiple options.
7. Once done, click "Add Next Question" to proceed.
8. Now, create a follow-up question in order to pipe the responses of your source question.
8. Choose any of these question types for the follow-up question - Multiple Choice, Picture Choice, Rank Order, Dropdown, or Matrix.
9. In our example, let us go with a Matrix Question Type as we're trying to know for what reasons the respondents chose their favourite countries in the primary question.
11. Once done, click on Pipe Answer, and choose the source question & answer options, from their respective drop downs.
12. You can choose any of these answer options to be displayed in the final piping.
All the choices: This will display all the options that you've given for the source question.
Selected Choices: This displays only the choices chosen by the respondents.
Unselected Choices: This displays the choices that are not chosen by the respondents.
Here's a preview of the survey:
Follow-up Question: Matrix Question Type
Things to keep in mind:
Add the Source Question first and then go for the follow-up question.
Matrix Question Type is supported only in the Follow-Up question.
You can create as many sections as you want and pipe your responses between different sections. You can also pipe your responses between multiple questions too without creating a section.
Be careful while dragging or rearranging the question orders in the survey. There are chances your Answer Piping would be broken if the questions are in the wrong order.
Answer options like "All the Above & None of the Above" will not work for Answer Piping.
Without a source question, you cannot create Answer Piping. An error message like this will appear.
Hope you found this article helpful.
Please feel free to reach out to us for any technical assistance.
We're happy to help :)
Let's go with the same source question here, but with a different question type for the follow-up question.
In the follow-up question, if you wish to know the rank preference of the countries that your respondent has chosen in the primary question, you can select Rank Order Question Type to achieve this.
Once done, click on Pipe Answer, and choose the source question and answer options, from their respective drop downs.
That's it! Now we'll see a preview of the survey.
Follow-up Question: Rank Order Question Type
And you'll be able to fetch responses accordingly.
See you in the next one :)