Expressions help you to evaluate the respondent based on the answer provided by them. You can create a mathematical formula using Expressions and show the results in Thank you page. You can also see these calculated values in reports.
For Instance, you want to calculate the quality score of a particular process in your organization. You can enable scoring for each answer and use Expression to calculate the result based on Mathematical formula you define.
The following question types are supported by expressions:
- Opinion scale
- Multiple choice
- Picture choice
You can use the expressions’ value in your survey with the help of display logic or skip logic or question piping. You could also use it as a hidden variable and see it just in your reports or as a filter value.
Let’s see how it works :
1. Click on the globe icon on the left side of your screen. A pop-up window will open and select Expressions to add a mathematical operation that you want your survey to follow.
2. Give a name to the expressions and put down the mathematical operation that should be run. You can add the variables by clicking on the dollar sign.
3. Click on the validate and save button to add the expressions. You can create multiple expressions as such and all that will be displayed in the same window.
Once you have finished adding expressions, go to the questions that you want your expressions to be used. Now you have three options (Display logic, Skip logic and Question piping) and you could use whichever one that assists the mathematical operation you want to employ. For this example, I am using Display logic.
1. Select logic and select the expression that you want to use.
2. Add the desired condition for the responses.
3. Preview the question and proceed
You run an e-commerce platform and want to reward your customers with 10% of cashback, on the value of their purchase.
1. Using a multiple choice question type or any other question type that can have numerical responses, you can display the products you have. Assign the price of the product as a score to each of the choices in case of multiple choice question type.
2. Now open expressions window by clicking on the globe icon. After naming the expression appropriately, put down the formula using the variables from the drop-down menu.
3. After putting in the formula - 0.1 * (Answer.Q9 + Answer.Q10 + Answer.Q13), update the expression window and proceed to the said question.
4. You can display the eligible cashback amount in the final page using Display logic, skip logic or question piping.
Note: Expressions can only run numerical values, the feature can be used only for the numerical responses or that can be assigned scores.